As a result of the research conducted at the Karain cavern located to the north of the city it is understood that the area has been inhabited since the prehistorical era. It is known that the Turquoise/Etruscan tribes moving southwards from the Euroasian steppes in around 3000 B.C. settled and founded their city in the Antalya region as in all of Anatolia. The area is named Ahhiyava in the Hittite inscriptions. It is understood that the Luwi and Lukka tribes of the Turquoises also settled in the mountainous Psidia, Lycia and Pamphilia regions located within the city limits of Antalya. The area went under the reign of Kimmer in the 7th century, subsequently followed by Persians, Macedonians, Pers, Romans and Byzantines and, finally, was seized by the Turks in 1207. The root of the name of the city is understood to be “Attala”, that is, “the City of Hakan, son of God” in the Turquoise/Luwi language. It served as the centre of the Teke Sanjak in the lands of Karamanoðullarý for a certain period of time, then subordinated to the province of Konya in the 19th century and finally became a province in 1923. The city which was “Adalia” during the Roman and Byzantine eras has been converted into Antalya today through phonetic pronunciation.
HISTORICAL WORKS OF ART WITHIN THE CITY OF ANTALYA
Besides technology, courses in science, philosophy and psychology were taught at the Medrese, which served as the college of its era. To the northwest of the Mosque is Mevlevihane. This 18th century square building is reinforced by cradle vaults and the dome is covered with roof tiles. To the east of Külliye is the Tomb of Mehmet Bey, an octagonal construction upon a square floor, walls of dressed stone blocks and a pyramid spire-shaped roof covered with roof tiles. To the west there is a Selçuklu Hamamý (Seljuk Hamam) with walls built of rubble stones, a steam room with a square layout and a roof made of round domes. The Clock Tower, onto which a clock was placed at a later period, is situated at a site known as Castle Gate and is one of the watch towers built on either side of the gate in order to protect it. Of these 25 metre high towers, the one to the east, which is still standing, has a square layout. Murat Paþa Mosque which was built by Kuyucu Murat Paþa in 1570 is covered with a high dome upon a ten-corner frame, with the inscriptions on its inner walls running all through the internal façade in a ribbon while presenting the most beautiful example of the Turkish-Seljuk art of calligraphy. The altar next to the marble pulpit worked with reliefs is a simple construction. The last congregation place is covered with three domes rising above pointed arches of coloured stone on four round columns. In the city centre the Sinan Mosque ordered to be built by Sheikh Sinan during the 16th century with rubble stone was built single-galleried with the short minaret made of dressed stone. The Mosque has a wooden floor and is covered with a tiled roof. Sheikh Sinan’s tomb is situated opposite the mosque. Tekeli Mehmet Paþa Mosque, located behind the Clock Tower at Kalekapýsý (Castle Gate), dates back to the 16th century. The sides of the entrance gate located to the north and the window edges are made of dressed stone. There is one large and three small domes over the mosque, which has a rectangular layout. Balibey Mosque on Balibey street in the city centre was ordered to be constructed by the Cavalry Chief Malkoçoðlu Balibey during the 15th century. Mtüsellim Mosque, which was ordered to be built by Mehmet Aða, the Head of the Palace Doorkeepers, in 1769 is made of dressed stone. At the northwest corner it has a single-galleried minaret made of brick. The mosque is covered by a large dome on drum frames in three stages, with 4, 8 and 10 corners. Ahi Yusuf Mosque, which was built by Ahi Yusuf in 1249, has a square foundation and is made of rubble stone. This little masjid is covered by a round dome with roof tiles. To the east of the city centre are Demirci Karaali Mosque, which was built during the 18th century, and KýrCami, which was re-constructed with the addition of a minaret.